Sunday, June 5, 2011

Beer Log



Since little else in life is worth posting about at the moment I have decided to use this space to record the new (or new to me) beers that I happen to come across. I toyed with the idea of writing it down on paper but that's just a bit too 2010 for my tastes. My alcohol consumption isn't out of control or anything so this will take some time fill up, but Trader Joes and Whole Foods both let you mix and match (so does Kroger late at night) so it's not as though I'll have to drink a million six packs.

It's important to note that I am not a beer expert, tasting snob or beer sommolier, just some guy (like your mom). Also, any suggestions for when to drink it or about what it might replace do not imply similarities to other beers, they are just things I think of when drinking the beer in question.

Anyway, first is Starr Hill "Lucy".
Color is nothing special, your typical cloudy straw color. Lots of head when you pour it and has a carbonationy aftertaste. Kind of a "bud light lime" taste going on, but not as pronounced. Sort of a lightly citrus beer. The label says it's brewed with ginger, "lime flavor" an coriander. I have no clue what coriander is.
This would be an easy substitute for a Corana w/ lime, or good with Mexican instead of Tecate. Would not be worth buying a six pack of, unless to share with others in one of the above situations.

Next is Xingu Black Beer. I can confirm that the name refers to the color of the beer, not it's intended consumers. According to the label it's from Brasil. Nifty.
Very little head, a slight licorice-like smell mixed with a day-old bottle of wine aroma from the bottle. Not Guiness like at all; it's rather thin and light tasting but too sweetsy-dark for my palette so I poured this bastard out. Will never drink this again.

No comments: